Gather at the Firehouse: Summer Recipes and More
Grilled Spicy Skirt Steak
• a 3/4- to 1-pound skirt steak, trimmed
• 1 tablespoon chili powder
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 large garlic clove, minced and mashed to a paste with 1 teaspoon coarse salt
• 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon allspice
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• flour tortillas, warmed, as an accompaniment
• Prepare grill if using. Cut steak into large pieces to fit on a grill or in a ridged grill pan.
• In a small bowl stir together chili powder, cumin, garlic paste, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, pepper, allspice, and oil and rub all over meat. Marinate meat in a resealable plastic bag, chilled, 20 minutes.
• Grill steak on a well-oiled rack set about 4 inches over glowing coals or in hot well-seasoned ridged grill pan over moderately high heat 3 to 5 minutes on each side, or until just springy to touch, for medium-rare meat. Let steak stand on a cutting board 5 minutes and cut across grain on the diagonal into thin slices.
• Serve steak with tortillas.