News >> Browse Articles >> Fire & Rescue News


Barefoot Man Rescues Neighbor from Fire

Barefoot Man Rescues Neighbor from Fire

St. Joseph News-Press via YellowBrix

January 09, 2010

St. Joseph fire officials said a South Side man pulled his neighbor from a house fire Friday morning in his bare feet.

Fire inspector Steve Henrichson said both men had injuries but the Good Samaritan declined medical treatment. The resident of the burned trailer near Lake Contrary was taken by ambulance to Heartland Regional Medical Center with second- and third-degree burns on most of his body.

“(The firefighters) said he was pretty bad,” Mr. Henrichson said.

He said the older man was handicapped and had gotten tangled up in a chair while trying to escape the blaze. The fire is believed to have started from a space heater in the dining room area, toward the central part of the single trailer.

Besides the three-alarm fire, firefighters battled the winter elements as well. One of the department’s rescue trucks got stuck in deep snow while arriving on the scene while other firemen worked to access a water hydrant nearby.

Mr. Henrichson said the department takes extra precautions before and after fires in freezing temperatures to ensure equipment, including hoses, don’t freeze and break. A total of nine units responded to the morning fire as well as two ambulance crews.

To see more of the St. Joseph News-Press or to subscribe to the newspaper, go to

Copyright © 2010, St. Joseph News-Press, Mo.

Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.

For reprints, email, call 800-374-7985 or 847-635-6550, send a fax to 847-635-6968, or write to The Permissions Group Inc., 1247 Milwaukee Ave., Suite 303, Glenview, IL 60025, USA.