Virginia Injured Firefighter, Displaces Three
A house fire in the 700 block of Carolina Ave. in Norfolk on March 15, 2011, sent one firefighter to a hospital with minor injuries and displaced three people. The fire was believed to have started in a kitchen before spreading through the walls.
Virginia Pilot via YellowBrix
March 15, 2011
NORFOLK, VA – A fire in the 700 block of Carolina Ave. this morning sent one firefighter to a hospital and displaced three people.
The fire was first reported in the kitchen of the home shortly after 4 a.m., said Battalion Chief Harry Worley, Norfolk Fire-Rescue spokesman. When firefighters arrived, they found smoke and flames coming from the home.
They went inside and found fire had spread from the kitchen into the walls. They cut into the walls to extinguish the flames and had to cut a hole in the roof. The firefighter was inside the home working when he suffered a minor injury. He is expected to recover.
The fire was declared under control about 5:10 a.m. The home was heavily damaged.
It was unclear whether the home was equipped with smoke alarms.
Fire investigators determined the blaze was an accident and began with a grease fire on the stove.
Three adults will not be able to stay in the home. Worley said the American Red Cross was called to help the family.