Bobcat Climbing Pole Sparks 5-Acre Brush Fire
September 08, 2010
PIRU, Calif. — A bobcat climbing a power pole got electrocuted and sparked a five-acre brush fire in California’s Ventura County. County fire Capt. Dan Preston told the Ventura County Star that the bobcat was apparently chasing an owl or another bird when it touched the power lines, caught fire and fell to the ground in a rural area near Piru.
The fire was reported at 3:36 a.m. Monday atop Torrey Peak. More than 40 firefighters extinguished the blaze about five hours later.
No homes were threatened and no one was hurt. The bobcat’s charred body was found beneath the power lines.
Information from: Ventura County Star, http://venturacountystar.com