News >> Browse Articles >> Fallen Firefighter


Report Shows FF Died in House Fire After Removing Mask

Report Shows FF Died in House Fire After Removing Mask

John Glaser

Kansas City Star via YellowBrix

July 30, 2010

KANSAS CITY – In a house filled with smoke, Shawnee firefighter John Glaser became sick in his breathing mask, removed it and died, investigators reported.

The report from Kansas fire investigators said Glaser, 33, rescued a dog before going back in to look for the homeowner, who was not there.

According to the report released Thursday by Shawnee:

Glaser, his partner and others went into the house, following a dry hose line they had carried in the house previously, and resumed the search.

As they went down the hose line, Glaser’s partner heard him call for help and tried to reach out to him, but somehow the two became separated.

“A mayday was announced. A search began and Glaser was located in the master bathroom,” the report stated.

When colleagues found him, his helmet, face piece and gloves were off and he was unresponsive. He had removed them to try to clear vomit, the report said, and was overcome by smoke and toxic gases.

Firefighters removed him from the house, and medics started resuscitation efforts but he was soon declared dead at a hospital.

He and firefighters at his station responded to about three calls that day and Glaser had two large meals, the report said.

He is the first Shawnee firefighter to die in the line of duty and among 49 to die this year nationwide.

Glaser lived in Olathe and left a widow, who declined to comment Thursday, and two young children.

Hundreds of firefighters, family and friends attended his funeral in May, when he was described as a man with a call to duty. He became a firefighter because he wanted to help others, said Shawnee Fire Chief Jeff Hudson.