News >> Browse Articles >> Fire & Rescue News


Rescuers Pull Man on Fire From Burning Home

San Jose Mercury News via YellowBrix

May 20, 2010

SAN JOSE – Firefighters who arrived at a burning house in San Jose on Wednesday saw a horrifying sight — a man standing in the entryway with his clothes on fire.

Two firefighters pulled the man from the house on Tampa Way, rolled him on the grass and began administering medical treatment, according to fire Capt. Chuck Rangel. He was transported to a hospital with burn-related injuries.

There was no immediate word on his condition.

“One firefighter said he’d never seen anything like that before,” Rangel said.

The two-alarm fire, which was first reported at 2:48 p.m., was controlled at 3:10 p.m., according to Rangel.

Rangel said there were reports from neighbors that an oxygen tank exploded inside the home.

Firefighters did find numerous oxygen tanks inside.

Rangel said a man who lived in the home safely led six grandchildren and his wife from the burning structure with the help of his son.

The man then ran to Fire Station 16, located a block away on King Road, to alert firefighters.

The man who was injured may also live in the home, Rangel said.