News >> Browse Articles >> Fire & Rescue News


Medical Helicopter Crash Kills Three

Medical Helicopter Crash Kills Three

Three people were killed early Thursday,March 25, 2010, when a medical helicopter crashed in a field east of downtown Brownsville, Tenn. killing a pilot and two nurses on a return trip from delivering a patient. They were not carrying a passenger at the t

Associated Press

March 26, 2010

BROWNSVILLE, TN. – A medical helicopter crashed in stormy weather over western Tennessee early Thursday, killing its crew of three, around the same time another helicopter company had declined to go on a flight in the area because of the weather conditions.

No patients were on board the helicopter operated by Hospital Wing when it crashed in a field about 55 miles northeast of Memphis around 6 a.m., authorities said.

Haywood County Sheriff Melvin Bond said nearby factory workers reported seeing a large burst of lightning, followed by an orange glow in the area of the crash.

He said the helicopter crew was communicating with its base when radio contact was lost. The pilot had given no indication of a problem, he said.

“It was totally burnt,” Bond said of the wreckage. Fire-blackened debris could be seen spread across part of the field and one rotor blade stuck straight up from the ground.

Hospital Wing, a nonprofit air medical transport service based in Memphis, said in a news release the victims were pilot Doug Phillips, 58, of Bartlett, Tenn.; nurse Misty Brogdon, 36, of Jackson; and nurse Cindy Parker, 48, of Dyersburg.

Authorities said the helicopter had flown a patient from Parsons to Jackson-Madison County General Hospital and was returning to its base in Brownsville when it went down a few miles from its destination.

“The pilot was not in contact with air traffic controllers at the time of the crash and there had been no indication of problems,” said Lynn Lunsford, a spokesman with the Federal Aviation Administration in Fort Worth, Texas. Lunsford said the FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) were investigating.

“They [investigators] will look at everything from the aircraft to the weather,” Lunsford said. "As the NTSB says, ‘man, machine and environment.’ "

Rich Okulski, a supervisor in the Memphis office of the National Weather Service, said there were thunderstorms in the area at the time and weather could have played a role in the crash.

Julie Heavrin, a spokeswoman for Air Evac Lifeteam, said from company headquarters in West Plains, Mo., that the weather at the time was considered too dangerous for their helicopters to fly.

She could not say whether the call was about the same patient who was airlifted by Hospital Wing, but said the request was for an air transfer from Parsons to Jackson at 4:02 a.m.