Detroit Firefighter Charged With Creating False Reports
Detroit Free Press via YellowBrix
January 16, 2010
The Detroit Fire Department has suspended a 10-year veteran firefighter, who’s expected to be charged today with creating a false fire department report after leaving the scene of a hit-and-run accident.
Jonathan Britt, 30, of Detroit was put on leave without pay last week when the department learned a warrant had been signed Jan. 6, Fire Commissioner James Mack said Thursday.
“Those are some serious charges to be leveled against someone with the fire department,” Mack said. “We take those charges very seriously. When the indictment came out and we were notified, we placed him on that status.”
Britt could not be reached for comment Thursday.
According to a warrant, Britt is accused of hitting an unoccupied car parked at Conant and East McNichols on May 2, then creating a false Detroit Fire Department report to submit to his insurance company.
Britt also is accused of filing a false report with the Detroit Police Department, claiming he was in an accident at Linwood and Hazelwood that required firefighters from Engine 21 to respond, the warrant states. That engine company was deactivated — no one was working that firehouse — the day of the accident, according to the fire department.
He could be jailed up to 14 years and fined more than $50,000 if convicted.
Assistant Wayne County Prosecutor Maria Miller said Britt is expected to be arraigned today in 36th District Court.